Tuesday, July 6, 2010

delicious lemon bars



On Sunday Cade, Bean and I went to Cade's mom's house to barbecue for the 4th of July. Even though Cade and I both had work that day, and we missed the fireworks (the first year in my life, ever!) it still turned out to be a pretty awesome day.

I have been wanting to make these vegan lemon bars that I saw on Chelsea's blog, Seablanket. I bought all the stuff to make them one week at Walmart (you know, the only store around here...) and they were out of lemons (the lady even went in the back to check for some)... so, into the cabinets everything went to never be seen again. I actually kind of forgot all about it until the other day. I don't cook much. Hah. But Cade's mom found me a couple of lemons (they must have been the only lemons in the entire state) and I tried to make these bars while Cade was grilling.

So here is Chelsea's recipe for vegan lemon bars:
Supplies Needed:
1 Cup Flour
1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter Substitute
2 Tablespoons Applesauce
1 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Tablespoon Grated Lemon Peel
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice

(I shamlessly stole this picture from Chelsea)

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, combine flour and powdered sugar; cutting in melted butter substitute until crumbly. Press flour mixture into a 8 or 9-inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour lemon mixture over your partially baked crust. Return to oven and bake for 20-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely and if desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar and lemon peel. Cut into bars. Makes 24 Lemon Bars.


I didn't really know if it would matter if I used powdered sugar or regular sugar, and we didn't have any powdered sugar, so I just used regular. And it turned out great. I also didn't bother measuring anything, and I just kind of slopped it all around in the dish until it looked okay. Mine didn't turn out as delicious looking as Chelsea's, so I didn't bother taking a picture... but it was really, really good. I ate half the pan of them, and brought some back to the apartment. Cade wouldn't try them because he saw me using applesauce and he hates applesauce (that boy...).

But I just wanted to let you know that if you are inept at cooking (like me) you too can make a delicious, albeit ugly dessert to wow your family and possibly your fiance, too! (that is, if he likes applesauce...)

4 comments:

  1. mmmm mmmm!! thanks for sharing!! they look delicious!!!


    http://www.allisterbee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god, carginas. i laughed so hard when i read that. would totally split the profits with you.

    i'm sure your lemon bars were delicious--just start being super sneaking about your cooking and baking that way cade will try your stuff, love it, and you can be all like "in your face! you just ate applesauce!".

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmmmm... my mom makes the best lemon bars. i'm craving them so bad now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi! i just found your blog and i love <3 i'll be back again :)

    ps: i moved 375 miles from home to be with the boy I love and haven't looked back since.... xx

    http://www.stuffyoulllove.com

    ReplyDelete